Friday, November 20, 2015

Knowing the Unknowable!

Shall I study Openings or Tactics?   What about Endgames and Annotated Grandmaster games…

How long will it take me to get to 1500? 1800?  What about Gm???

What is the best response to 1.d4?  what about 1.e4??  should I even have a repertoire!?






Ah Such frequent questions on places like chess.com.  Indeed the post reveal a nearly insatiable thirst for insights, into improving ratings, study programs, chess openings, along with sprinkles of generic “what is the best chess book for a college student” (like being a college student has anything to do with it.

I communed with the spirit of capablanca*… read each and every word of the Kmoch’s venerable book “pawn power”**, and consulted my favorite eight ball***

 

  …. Satisfied?

Ok SO is that a great insightful blog post?  Well “the signs point to Yes”.

The Problem with these questions (and many more) is that they are Simply Unanswerable.   And really, truly, we need to get over asking Unanswerable questions.
Instead the cure for all these broad whim questions is to…

TRY OUR BEST
… EVALUATE RESULTS
    ….. IF it AIN’T WORKING – change it, or try something new.

And that goes for ANY BOOK, ANY OPENING, ANY STUDY PROGRAM,  and many MANY VAGUE, BROAD, CONTROVERSIAL QUESTIONS asked on the Internet

Ohh and by the way  HAVE PATIENCE and PERSISTANCE-  THEY BOTH GO A LOOONG WAY IN CHESS. 

Can you really be a strong chess player without both- I know Probably unknowable-  BUT…. “the signs point to YES”.


* by the way, I didn’t do any of these things, but If I had- do you really think I would obsess about these kinds of open ended vague questions. NO way!  I would want to Improve my game- Espacially if Capablanca was willing to give me good tips from beyond the grave….

No comments:

Post a Comment